Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Dec. 7- COMMUNITY

I had had a twitter account for a while but did not really participate/understand it until I switched from a blackberry to an iphone. Work was slowing down so I decided to dive into twitter to keep me busy. I searched for people and companies to follow. It's amazing how much more powerful twitter can be instead of facebook. Facebook I use for keeping tabs on my friends, but twitter is like having a million conversations all day long with as many people as you want! The ultimate multi-tasking!

WORK: I am in the marketing/advertising industry and can connect with a lot of other professionals in my field. What a great networking tool! I have "met" (I use quotes because I have not actually met face-to-face with most of these people) dozens of great people who I converse with on a daily basis. I feel like the professional Buffalo community is so strong in the way people help each other. We all realize it's a hard time right now, but people are willing to help whenever possible! I've had a couple job interviews based on Twitter, how cool is that?

FRIENDSHIPS: Not too many of my friends that I speak to on a regular basis are on twitter just yet, but they're getting there. I had told my fiance about twitter this year and he thought it was useless, but he is a forum follower. He was spending all day long checking each and every forum website, what a waste of time! I told him to get on twitter and he can get sent updates as they're posted so he doesn't have to check each site individually AND he can click on only the headlines he WANTS to read. FILTERING is key to saving time!

WEDDING: amazing how helpful strangers have been to giving me tips and advice. So far I've picked my photographer, florist, and honeymoon all based on Twitter suggestions I've received! Not to mention all the BAGILLIONS of wedding websites that exist now I can manage them all in one place.

Anyways, twitter is definitely something that helps me through the day, everyday! Whether it be the cool people who make me laugh with funny posts or helpful tips and advice when I'm stressed to the max.

I will make it my goal in 2011 to meet more people, and participate in clubs/meetings revolving around social media and marketing.


No comments: