Monday, December 6, 2010

Dec. 6: MAKE

Well this is quite the topic today. The last thing I made were chocolate chip cookies this past weekend. Does that count? Depends on your definition of "made". I've been trying to learn how to bake this past year. I see myself as a cook rather than a baker, probably because I am Italian and grew up in a household where dinner was homemade every night and on the table promptly when my father came home from work, no excuses. Or maybe because cooking makes me feel rebellious because it's whatever you want it to be. I can add as much spice/flavor/ingredients as I see fit, baking...not so much. With baking I have to be exact and precise and follow instructions exactly. So i decided to take the chocolate chip cookie. Simple enough right? Not for this girl! Allow me to list my failed attempts:

Attempt 1-didn't have baking soda. Didn't think it'd be a problem...it was.

Attempt 2-accidentally added BLACK food coloring instead of VANILLA extract (they were in the exact same shaped bottle! also note: im legally blind without my glasses-not really acceptable excuse since I was wearing my glasses, but whatever!)

Attempt 3-I thought cookies were like cakes in that you know when they're done by pressing a finger and if the dough bounces back you're good! Negative. Resulted in cookies that could chip your teeth, awesome paperweights if you need x-mas gift ideas!

Attempt 4-I began making the batch and totally forgot I didn't have chocolate chips and was too lazy to go to the store so I mixed peanut butter and nutella in the bowl instead. Gross. Don't try that at home.

Attempt 5-ALAS I finally made the perfect batch that even my fiance proclaimed were BETTER THAN HIS MOTHER'S!!! That's right, you read it here! The key was patience, following the instructions on the Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chip bag EXACTLY, and taking the cookies out at exactly 11minutes even if they don't look finished!

This was definitely an accomplishment for me. As for what baked good is next, I have NO idea. Suggestions are welcome. I can tell you one thing, bread will never be tried.


4 comments:

co_cor3000 said...

If you care to prove how good they were I am accepting tins of cookies as payment for witty comments. Address to follow. Good post, thanks.

Laura said...

Get a bread machine -super easy for homemade bread. I am not sure if it really "counts" but it tastes great when it's warm!

p.s. found your blog from reverb10 on twitter.

Margtini 19 said...

@co_cor3000 I do appologize but you will have to fight with my fiance over the cookies. I'm pretty sure I will be going home to an empty bag. his excuse "what, you said u were on a diet? Thought I was helping!"

@laura thanks for the tip! I think my parents might have a machine lurking in a dusty corner of their house.

Aly said...

LOL Ok the black food coloring instead of vanilla is HILARIOUS!! As someone who can cook, but can.not. bake to save her life, I am uber impressed you kept at it for as many attempts as you did. Kudos!!