Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Lifestyles of the...Rrrrreally really poor

I'm still contemplating a conversation I had a while back with fabulous MarinaGrey about being important grown-ups and what our friends are doing. I'll start from the beginning. MG and I were in grammar school together (that's right, I said grammar, it's not elementary or middle/jr high school because we were one school that went from kindergarten through 8th grade) and we have 3 other fabulous close friends and we all still keep in touch. Anyways, MG and I were talking about how the rest of our Fab 5 is making something important out of their lives. One is an engineer, and 2 are getting PhDs from fabulous institutions. Granted, MG has since applied and been accepted to grad school so she is now in the really fast expensive fancy yacht carelessly floating upstream. Me on the other hand graduated with a BA (which I am very proud of) but have been working full time since graduation making no money and hating my job with every passing day. I feel like I'm on the broken down paddle boat without paddles that's sprouting leaks everywhere. Now one of the PhD path friends, JG, is in a program at Johns Hopkins. JG has lived across the street from me my entire life. What the hell? Why couldn't I have been smart like her? We drank the same water!!!! I guess my situation can be fixed by simply applying for grad school-but do I want to put myself into debt for one year of school? Not particularly. Especially since I work in the field I received my BA in. The pays not going to get much better. My parents should have bred me as an accountant or something. It's all their fault for letting me have an imagination and free spirit to follow my love of arts. C'mon all the other parents were probably stealing crayons out of their kids hands and swapping them for scalpels. BUT NOOOOO I was allowed to color outside the lines of my minnie mouse coloring book because by scolding me to keep inside the lines would have not been giving me freedom to make my own decision. Hey friends, when you're rich and famous someday could you pick me up in your expensive fancy yacht so I can pretend? K. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you use the name grammar school as well- I have been mocked for it before but I feel justified now! haha :)